- ½ cup (75g) almonds
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 1/3 cups (280g) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (149g) granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp Dansukker Ljus Sirap or Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 14 Tbsp (200g) unsalted butter, cubed & room temperature
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spread almonds out on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until toasted, 5–7 minutes. Turn oven off, as you won’t need it for a few hours.
- Let almonds cool completely, then chop into small pieces. (If you’re impatient like us, spread the almonds out on a plate, then stick ‘em in the fridge.)
- In a small bowl, mix baking soda and water.
- Place the flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, then add the chopped almonds, baking soda mixture, sugar, syrup, and butter.
- Mix with a handheld mixer. Once dough starts to look sandy with medium-sized chunks of butter, ditch the mixer and get in there with your hands to fully distribute the butter.
- Once you have a mostly smooth dough, form into two logs about 2–3 inches in diameter. Wrap tightly in cling film and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
- When you’re ready to bake, heat oven to 400°F. If you left your dough in the fridge overnight, take it out while oven heats up. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove cling film from dough logs and, using a serrated knife, slice into cookies about ¼ inch (6mm) thick.
- Place on prepared baking sheets, leaving 2" between each cookie.
- Bake for 8–10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!