- ¼ cup (35g) Soda Fountain Malted Milk Powder
- ½ cup (99g) granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 ounces (142g) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 6 Tbsp (45g) all-purpose flour
Malted Chocolate Frosting:
- 1 ½ Tbsp (11g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup (57g) whole milk
- 2 Tbsp (18g) Soda Fountain Malted Milk Powder
- 1 Tbsp (5g) Valrhona (or other Dutch-process) cocoa powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (57g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and line an 8" x 8" metal baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together malted milk powder, sugar, and salt. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate in microwave in 30-second increments until it’s mostly melted. Add butter, then put in microwave for 20 seconds more. Stir until chocolate and butter are thoroughly melted. Allow to cool slightly.
- Pour chocolate mixture into malt mixture, whisking until smooth. Add vanilla and eggs, whisking until combined.
- Add flour and stir just until combined. Spread batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 27–30 minutes. Brownies are done when a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean with only a few fluffy crumbs attached. Leave in pan and allow to cool completely.
- After brownies are totally cool, it’s time to make the frosting. In the smallest pot you own, combine flour, sugar, and salt, whisking to combine.
- Slowly pour in milk while whisking; keep whisking until smooth. Heat mixture over medium-low heat, whisking constantly until mixture begins to boil.
- Continue whisking for 1–3 minutes until mixture thickens. Immediately remove from heat and sift in malted milk powder and cocoa powder. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a bowl, then mix in vanilla. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once mixture has cooled, in a medium bowl with a handheld mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. Add chocolate-malt mixture a little at a time, incorporating completely before adding more.
- Once all of the chocolate-malt mixture has been added, whip buttercream until it’s light and fluffy.
- Remove brownie slab from pan by pulling up on the parchment paper. With an offset spatula, frost brownies. Cut into 16 pieces, wiping knife off between cuts as necessary to get clean edges.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!