- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest (1 lemon)
- 1 egg
- 6 ¾ Tbsp (51g) all-purpose flour
- 6 ¾ Tbsp (80g) caster (AKA superfine) sugar*
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar or vanilla bean paste
- 1/3 cup (75g) unsalted butter
Topping & Decoration:
- 13 ½ Tbsp (192g) heavy cream
- ½ cup (15g) Natierra Organic Freeze-Dried Raspberries
- 2 Tbsp unsalted chopped pistachios, lightly toasted
*If you don’t have caster (AKA superfine) sugar, very briefly blitz granulated sugar in a spice grinder or blender. Don’t grind too much, otherwise you’ll end up with confectioners’ sugar!
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8" (20cm) round cake pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, lemon zest, and egg.
NOTE: If using vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla sugar, add during this step.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, caster sugar, and vanilla sugar.
- In a medium pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Remove from heat and add lemon mixture and flour mixture, mixing just until combined.
- Pour batter into cake pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Once baked, cake will still be slightly sticky in the middle.
- Allow cake to cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan. Then place cake in fridge to cool completely.
- While cake is cooling, lightly toast pistachios in a dry skillet over medium heat; set aside and allow to cool. Also place metal mixing bowl and whisk attachment in freezer for at least 15 minutes.
- In the chilly bowl of a stand mixer fitted with cold whisk attachment, beat heavy cream on high speed until soft peaks form.
- After cake is totally cool, remove from fridge. Using an offset spatula, spread and smooth whipped cream on cake. Sprinkle freeze-dried raspberries (some whole, some crushed, whatever suits your fancy) and toasted pistachios on top.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!