- 1 cup hot coffee
- ¼ cup Valrhona (or other Dutch-process) cocoa powder*
- 2 Tbsp black cocoa*
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup neutral oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups (500g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 stick (4oz or 113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz (226g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp LorAnn Blood Orange Oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- Gel food colouring, optional
*If you don’t have black cocoa on hand, you can simply use all Dutch-process cocoa powder.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners (or just grease ‘em if you like naked cupcakes).
- In a large bowl, whisk coffee, cocoa powder, and black cocoa to dissolve cocoa. Mix milk and oil in a small bowl, then add to coffee/cocoa mixture. Next, add eggs. Set aside.
- Sift flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl. Fold dry mixture into wet ingredients in large bowl and beat until smooth.
- Fill cupcake wells 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 10–15 minutes, depending on cupcake size. Cupcakes are done when a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean with only a few fluffy crumbs attached.
- Cool cupcakes completely.
- Once the cupcakes are totally cool, make the frosting. First, sift the confectioners’ sugar. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and cream cheese until creamy and free of lumps.
- Add blood orange oil and salt, mixing well to combine.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, mixing until the everything is combined.
- Stir in food colouring, if desired. (We made our frosting light orange to highlight the flavor profile.)
- Pipe or spread frosting on the cooled cupcakes.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or use #fikabrödbox!