- ½ cup (113g) coconut oil, softened
- ¼ cup (84g) Just Date Syrup
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup (113g) unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup (168g) Just Date Syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
- 5 ounces (142g) dark chocolate, chopped*
- 2 tsp coconut oil, warmed
- ½ cup (60g) unsalted pistachios, chopped small & toasted
- chunky or flaky salt
*We used Nói Síríus 56% bittersweet chocolate, but if you wanted to make these biscuits completely refined sugar free, you could simply use sugar-free baking chocolate, such as Lily’s.
- Heat oven to 300°F. Grease a jelly roll pan and line it with parchment paper. (Our jelly roll pan is 14.75" x 10" x 1".)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat coconut oil and date syrup until relatively smooth and light-ish brown.
- Add flour and salt, mixing just until incorporated. Then add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Press mixture into bottom of prepared pan, leveling out with your fingers or the bottom of a measuring cup. Dock shortbread (prick all over with the tines of a fork).
- Bake for 20–25 minutes or until shortbread is firm to the touch. Transfer pan to wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Once the shortbread is totally cool, let’s make some date caramel! In a medium saucepan, whisk together coconut milk, date syrup, and salt.
- Bring mixture to a low boil over medium, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stirring occasionally, allow mixture to thicken to the desired consistency, about 10 minutes.
NOTE: To test if your caramel is ready, drip a small amount into a glass of ice water. If the caramel sauce turns into a wee ball, then it’s ready!
- Pour caramel over shortbread layer, smoothing the top with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Work quickly, as the caramel will start to become rather sticky.
- Place pan in fridge to allow caramel to set completely, about 15 minutes.
- Now it’s time to make the ganache! In a heatproof bowl, melt chocolate in microwave in 30-second increments until it’s mostly melted. Add coconut oil, mixing to combine and melt the rest of the chocolate. Mixture needs to cool down some but remain pourable.
- Retrieve pan from fridge and pour ganache over caramel layer, smoothing the top with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Sprinkle chopped, toasted pistachios and salt on top.
- Place pan in fridge to allow ganache to harden, about 30 minutes.
- Remove biscuit slab from pan by pulling up on parchment. With a sharp knife, cut into 36 biscuits.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!