- ¾ to 1 cup (170g to 227g) water, lukewarm (110–115°F)
- 2 Tbsp (28g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 3 ½ cups (420g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp instant yeast
- 3 Tbsp (43g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg white whisked with 2 Tbsp cold water
- Bourke Street Bakery Everything Bagel Topping
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with dough hook, combine all bun dough ingredients. Mix on second speed until you’ve made a soft, smooth dough. Make sure to not over-knead the dough. It should hold together, but it may still look a little rough on the surface.
- Form dough into a ball and place into a well-oiled bowl. Roll dough around in bowl to coat all sides with oil. Cover bowl and place in a warm, dry spot and leave undisturbed until dough has doubled in bulk, 1–2 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- After dough has doubled in size, punch it down to release excess gas build-up.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. (We recommend weighing your dough—instead of eyeballing it—so that you can create truly equal buns.)
- Form dough pieces into balls.
NOTE: If this is your first time making buns, we highly recommend watching Certified Master Baker Jeffrey Hamelman’s technique for easily forming dough balls.
- Gently flatten each dough ball so that it’s about 3" in diameter, then place on prepared baking sheet, keeping buns evenly spaced apart.
- Cover buns and allow to rise until visibly puffy, roughly 1 hour.
NOTE: Wondering if your buns have proofed enough? Give one a wee poke with your finger. If indentation springs back slowly, buns are ready to be baked. If the indentation springs back quickly, buns need to continue proofing.
- Towards the end of the dough’s rising time, heat oven to 375°F.
- Once buns have had their second proof, brush them with about half of melted butter glaze. Brush egg white mixture directly over butter, then sprinkle buns with everything bagel topping.
- Bake for 15–18 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven and carefully brush with remaining melted butter.
- Transfer buns to wire rack and allow to cool completely before slicing.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!