- 1 cup (190g) caster (AKA superfine) sugar*
- zest of 1 grapefruit
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups + 2 Tbsp (255g) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1–2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, minced
- ¼ cup (80g) Liber & Co. Rio Red Grapefruit Cordial
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
*If you don’t have caster (AKA superfine) sugar, very briefly blitz granulated sugar in a spice grinder or blender. Don’t grind too much, otherwise you’ll end up with confectioners’ sugar!
- Heat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan and line it with parchment paper; set aside.
- Combine sugar and grapefruit zest in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using your fingers, rub together until sugar turns yellowy-orange and you smell that citrusy goodness.
- Connect paddle attachment, then add butter to bowl. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy.
- In a liquid measuring cup, beat eggs together. Gradually pour eggs into butter mixture (about a teaspoon at a time), beating well after each addition. You want to do this slowly; it may take about 5 minutes to fully incorporate the eggs.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add a quarter of the minced rosemary to butter mixture. Sift one-fourth of the flour mixture on top, then gently fold in with a silicone spatula. Repeat thrice more.
- Spread batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 55–65 minutes. Cake is done when a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean with only a few fluffy crumbs attached.
- Transfer pan to wire rack. Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes.
- While cake is cooling, mix together grapefruit cordial and grapefruit juice.
- Poke warm cake quite a few times with a toothpick, then slowly drizzle grapefruit syrup all over.
- Cool cake completely, then remove from pan.
- Dust cake with confectioners’ sugar and top with candied grapefruit slices before serving.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!