- 1 cup (227g) whole milk, lukewarm (110–115°F)
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 ¼ tsp dry yeast (1 packet)
- 3 Tbsp Falling Bark Farm Original Hickory Syrup, room temperature
- ¼ cup (57g) unsalted butter, cubed & room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3 ¼ to 3 ½ cups (390g to 420g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 6 Tbsp (85g) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp Falling Bark Farm Original Hickory Syrup
- In a small bowl, whisk together lukewarm milk and sugar. Gently stir in yeast, then leave undisturbed for about 10 minutes until the mixture gets foamy.
- Mix in hickory syrup, butter, and egg.
- In your mixer bowl, whisk together 3 ¼ cups (390g) flour and salt.
- Add liquid mixture. Connect paddle attachment, then mix on low until the dough starts to come together, 2–3 minutes.
- Once flour is mostly incorporated, scrape down sides of bowl and switch from paddle to dough hook. Knead until dough is smooth and soft, about 10 minutes.
- This is a sticky and wet dough, but if your dough seems toooooo sticky, add remaining ¼ cup (30g) flour.
- Form dough into a ball and place into a large, lightly oiled bowl. Cover bowl with beeswax wrap, cling film, or dish towel. Place bowl in a warm, dry spot and leave undisturbed for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in bulk.
- While dough is proofing, grease 9" x 13" baking dish. Also make hickory butter by mixing together melted butter and hickory syrup. Set all aside.
- After dough has doubled in size, punch it down to release excess gas build-up. Turn out onto a well-floured surface and divide dough into two equal pieces. Set one dough blob aside and cover with a clean dish towel.
- Take the other dough blob and sprinkle it with flour. Using a rolling pin, roll blob into a 12-inch square that is roughly ¼-inch thick.
- Brush square with hickory butter, then cut into 6 two-inch-wide strips. Roll each strip up cinnamon bun style, then place—seam side down—into prepared baking dish.
- Repeat roll makin’ process with second dough blob.
- Cover baking dish with beeswax wrap, cling film, or dish towel. Place bowl in a warm, dry spot and leave undisturbed for 30 minutes or until rolls have puffed up.
- While rolls are proofing, heat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 20–30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove dish from oven. Brush rolls with remaining hickory butter and sprinkle flaky sea salt on top.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!