- 1 ½ sticks (6 oz) butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 packet (¼ oz) active dry yeast
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground cardamom, optional but highly recommended
- 3–3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 ½ Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Lars Own Swedish Pearl Sugar
- Melt butter, then add milk and heat until mixture is lukewarm.
- Put yeast in a large bowl. Pour in milk/butter mixture. Stir until all yeast has dissolved.
- Add salt, granulated sugar, cardamom (if using), and most of the flour.
- Work dough together until elastic. Cover and place in a warm location to rise for 30–40 minutes.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead using remaining flour (as needed) until a soft dough is formed. Roll dough out to make a 12" by 16" rectangle.
- For the filling, mix cinnamon and granulated sugar. Spread softened butter evenly over the dough. (We found that gently using our fingers works well here.) Sprinkle dough with cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Roll up dough lengthwise, pinching seam to seal. Then gently stretch the dough to make a log that’s roughly 24" long.
- Using a serrated knife (or unflavoured dental floss), slice log into 24 equal pieces.
- Place slices on greased baking sheets or in muffin tins, then cover lightly with plastic wrap.
- Heat oven to 425°F while dough is proofing for 20 minutes.
- Brush buns with beaten egg. Sprinkle with Lars Own® Swedish Pearl Sugar.
- Bake buns for 10–15 minutes or until golden brown.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or use #fikabrödbox!