- 4 large eggs
- 4/5 cup (167g) granulated sugar
- 2/5 cup (51g) all-purpose flour
- 2/5 cup (47g) cornstarch
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 cups (334g) fresh strawberries, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest (zest of 1 lemon)
- 1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice (juice of ½ lemon)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 ½ Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2/5 cup (96g) whole milk
- 2/5 cup (96g) heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla paste or extract
Topping & Decoration:
- 1 ¾ cups (384g) heavy cream
- 3 to 4 cups (501g to 668g) fresh strawberries, sliced
- optional: mint leaves, edible flowers, chocolate shavings, chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 390°F.
- Wrap a 9" springform pan tightly with a couple layers of aluminum foil. Grease inside of pan, then lightly coat with breadcrumbs, tapping out excess. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whisk together eggs and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, roughly 8–10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, cornstarch, and baking soda.
- Sift flour mixture into egg mixture. Gently fold dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25–27 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer to wire rack and allow cake to cool completely in the pan.
- While the cake is baking, make the strawberry filling. First, hull the strawberries and roughly chop them.
- Place chopped strawberries in a bowl, then add sugar, lemon zest, and juice. Mix and mash with a fork until you have a thick, jammy mixture.
- Cover and place in fridge to macerate while you make the custard.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, milk, cream, and vanilla paste. Keeping whisking until mixture thickens, 4–5 minutes.
NOTE: Be sure to keep the temperature on low, as you don’t want the custard to boil.
- After custard has thickened, pour into another bowl to cool. Immediately press cling film directly onto surface. Let cool to room temperature.
Assembly & Decoration:
- When you’re just about ready to assemble your cake, place metal mixing bowl and whisk attachment in freezer for 15 minutes.
- While those items are chilling, cut cake into three layers. Hull and slice strawberries.
- In the chilly bowl of a stand mixer fitted with cold whisk attachment, whip cream until soft peaks form.
- Place bottom layer of cake on cake stand, then spread custard on top.
- Add middle layer and spread strawberry filling—including all of the juice—on top.
- Then add top layer to cake. Plop most of the whipped cream in the middle, spreading over top of cake with an offset spatula. Spread a crumb coat of whipped cream over sides, then use remaining whipped cream to cover the rest of the sides.
- Decorate cake with strawberry slices and any other little accoutrements you wish. (We’re partial to mint leaves and edible flowers!)
- Store cake in refrigerator until ready to serve. Enjoy within two days.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!