Upside Down Topping:
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (213g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 5 bananas, halved lengthwise
- 1 ½ cups (180g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, cold
- ½ cup (99g) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup (114g) whole milk
- 1 cup (270g) Big Spoon Roasters Peanut Butter with Wildflower Honey & Sea Salt
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 10" cast iron skillet. Dust pan with ¼ cup sugar, then shake out excess.
- To continue the topping, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix together butter and dark brown sugar. Spread mixture into bottom of skillet.
NOTE: If you’re having difficulty spreading this thick mixture, press it into the pan with your fingers.
- Arrange bananas in a pattern cut side down atop brown sugar mixture. Cut bananas into pieces as necessary to fill the space.
- Now let’s start the cake! In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using the same mixing bowl and paddle attachment from step 2, beat butter and granulated sugar on medium until light and fluffy, roughly 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing until thoroughly combined. Mix in vanilla.
- Starting and ending with the flour mixture, add dry ingredients and milk to butter mixture alternately. With mixer on low speed, mix until combined, being careful to not overmix. Scrape down bowl as necessary after each addition.
- Spread batter into prepared skillet. Place skillet on baking sheet to catch any caramel overflow.
- Bake for 1 hour. Let cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto serving platter. Serve warm, preferably with vanilla ice cream to make your dessert extra delicious!
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!