- 1 scant cup (200g) caster (AKA superfine) sugar*
- 14 Tbsp (200g) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 5/8 cups (200g) self-rising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
Frosting & Filling:
- 7 fl oz (210ml or ~ 5/6 cup) heavy whipping cream, cold
- 5.5 oz (210g or ~ ¾ cup) mascarpone, softened but still chilled
- 1 7.5-oz jar (2/3 cup) Postre Caramels Sea Salt Caramel Sauce, divided
- 1–2 bananas
*If you don't have caster (AKA superfine) sugar, very briefly blitz granulated sugar in a spice grinder or blender. Don't grind too much, otherwise you'll end up with confectioners' sugar!
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8" (20cm) round cake pans.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix all cake ingredients until you have a smooth batter, being careful not to overbeat.
- Divide the batter between the cake pans, smoothing the surface with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. (There will be roughly 520g of batter in each pan.)
- Bake for 20–25 minutes. The cakes are done when they are golden, pull away slightly from the sides of the pans, and spring back when lightly pressed.
- Leave cakes in pans for 5–10 minutes, then gently turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, it’s frosting time! First, chill the metal bowl and whisk attachment for your stand mixer in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. Take mascarpone out of fridge and leave at room temperature for 15 minutes. (You want the mascarpone to soften slightly but still be chilled.)
- Next, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat heavy whipping cream on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the mascarpone to the whipped cream and beat until stiff peaks form. Keep a close eye, as this will happen rather quickly.
- Fold in 4 Tbsp of Postre Caramels Sea Salt Caramel Sauce. (You will now have a heaping 2 ½ cups of frosting.)
- Now it’s time to build your cake! Place the bottom cake layer on your turntable or plate.
- Spread 4 Tbsp of caramel sauce over bottom layer. Then spread half of frosting on top (roughly 1 ¼ cups).
- Cut banana(s) into ¼" slices. Gently press banana slices into frosting. If desired, spread another ¼ cup frosting on top of the banana slices.
- Place top cake layer on top of bananas/frosting. Spread remaining frosting across top.
- Drizzle some or all of the remaining caramel sauce across top of cake. (We used every last bit!)
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!